Author, Storyteller and Inspirational Speaker

I've moved my blog to my new website at www.janetstobie.com Please come find me there. I've added lots of new information.


Live Performance:

Hear Janet tell the story "The Last Shall be First" from her book Can I Hold Him?(Part One) (Part Two)

Tips For Grace-Filled Living

TIPS FOR GRACE-FILLED LIVING

Janet has a weekly column in the Millbrook Times titled Today's Faith. Once her reflections have been published in the paper, she posts them below.



How Many Lives Shall I Touch Today?

Some mornings when I first wake up, I do some stretching exercises. Often I find an excuse that allows me to skip them. After all, they aren’t rigorous enough to be part of a weight loss or muscle building program. Besides, it takes at least a week before I notice the stiffness creeping into my back and hips.

Living our Christianity, like daily exercises, requires intentionality. In my daily devotional reading I found this poem written by a person named “Jones”.

            “How many lives shall I touch today?

             How many neighbors will pass my way?

             I can bless so many and help so much,

             if I meet each one with a Christ-like touch.”

How many lives shall I touch today? Most of us come in direct contact with an entire crowd of people in any one day. Think about it: family, friends, co-workers, shop-keepers, restaurant workers, doctors, computer connections, strangers …

Being intentional about our interactions with people can add to the total love and joy in this world. Offering the waitress a word of praise can make a difference for her, and for all who hear you. A word of encouragement for a complaining teenager warms your heart and hers. Pausing to listen when a co-worker speaks of concerns or celebrations starts a wave of good feelings that emanates outward. We know this, and yet we get so wrapped up in ourselves, our concerns, our impatience, we forget.

During your morning exercises, prayers, or coffee, tally up the people you will be touching today. Follow this with a short prayer, asking God’s help in making each touch a Jesus touch of joy and love. Over time, this exercise will make a difference in your life and in this world.



“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.” (Hebrews 13:2)

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Janet, what a good reminder to leave our self-focus and think outwardly instead. That is truly a Christ-like attitude; I don't think He spent too much time thinking of His own needs, and certainly His desires were only those of His Father.