Author, Storyteller and Inspirational Speaker

I've moved my blog to my new website at www.janetstobie.com Please come find me there. I've added lots of new information.


Live Performance:

Hear Janet tell the story "The Last Shall be First" from her book Can I Hold Him?(Part One) (Part Two)

Tips For Grace-Filled Living

TIPS FOR GRACE-FILLED LIVING

Janet has a weekly column in the Millbrook Times titled Today's Faith. Once her reflections have been published in the paper, she posts them below.



Doubting Thomas

The Bible story we call “Doubting Thomas” is one of my favourites. After his resurrection, Jesus appears to a gathering of his disciples. Thomas for some reason is not there. Maybe he’s out buying food, or running errands, or maybe in the disappointment and pain of Jesus’ crucifixion, Thomas has given up and gone home. When his friends report, “We have seen Jesus.” Thomas says, “Unless I put my fingers in the holes in his palms and my hand in his side, I will not believe.” Jesus comes to Thomas and offers his hands and side. Jesus gives Thomas what he needs.
Like Thomas, we struggle to believe, not just in Jesus’ resurrection, but also in God’s love and support of us as individuals. We say, “God doesn’t care about me. I’ll believe in God only when I experience God for myself.” What can we learn from this story?
Thomas is present with the group the second time Jesus appears. Too often, we reject all aspects of faith and stay away from those Christians and their crazy beliefs. God knocks on our door, pounds away, and we keep it slammed shut as tightly as possible. It’s hard to have an experience if we’re not present. Even with our refusal to co-operate, God persists. Sometimes, it takes a bomb to get us to open up; sometimes, Jesus just walks in through the locked door of our hearts.
Rest assured. Jesus will come and offer you what you need, just as he came to Thomas. Why not make it easy? Why not open your heart, gather with the church, choose to be present when the Lord comes.
“A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” (John 20:26-27)

No comments: