Author, Storyteller and Inspirational Speaker

I've moved my blog to my new website at www.janetstobie.com Please come find me there. I've added lots of new information.


Live Performance:

Hear Janet tell the story "The Last Shall be First" from her book Can I Hold Him?(Part One) (Part Two)

Tips For Grace-Filled Living

TIPS FOR GRACE-FILLED LIVING

Janet has a weekly column in the Millbrook Times titled Today's Faith. Once her reflections have been published in the paper, she posts them below.



Reflections - The Path of LIfe

When I first started this blog I planned to write a daily reflection on scripture or some other thought or event. So today, I am stepping onward to that purpose. This morning I focused on Psalm 16. It is a Psalm of celebrating life with God. Today, these two lines stood out for me.
"You show me the path of life.
In your presence there is joy."
Lately I have been feeling overwhelmed. I see all the stuff I want to do - write, sell my books, enjoy my family and husband, play with my friends, support anyone I know who is hurting, care for myself physically and mentally...the list is endless. So this morning I prayed, "You show me, God, you show me what you want for my life. Lay out my days." or as this Psalm says, "You show me the path of life, God. In your presence there is joy."
Jesus said,"I am the way...follow me...and I will give you rest." What was Jesus' pattern? What is Jesus' way? Immediately into my mind comes, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and love your neighbour as yourself." Jesus clearly said that all people were our neighbours, not just the people like us. And so I say to myself this morning, I will love and care for all people, one at a time as I encounter them. I will love my wonderful grandchildren and the 'brat' at the library, church, school...who won't sit still, won't listen, continually pokes and pushes the other children. I will love the teen I see volunteering at the hospital and the teen that throws stones at the streetlight just to hear the glass break. I will love my long time neighbour and the Moslem stranger the world has taught me to fear. In doing this I will become aware of God's presence and experience joy, not happiness necessarily but joy. Joy because for a few moments I will have let go of myself, my fear, my judgment, my anger and I will have rested with God.
These are the thoughts I wrote this morning as part of my daily prayer time. I offer them to any who wish to read.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very thoughtfil. If only all of us could do that it would be a better world.